Thursday, May 8, 2014

Kindergartners talk about babies

My kindergartners were full of them today. For some reason or another, they really wanted to talk about babies so we took a couple of minutes to discuss.

When I informed them I had no children they were...shocked to say the least.  It was an uproar. How dare I NOT have children!

Student 1: "Miss McClure, why you no have baby? You no want?!"

In response one of them sassily responded:
Student 2: "OF COURSE she have no baby! She is MISS, no MRS.!!!"

Student 3: If you no have baby why you have thees? *puts both hands on his chest*
I must say I just about lost it at this point but thankfully they graced over this fact.

Student 4: "But Miss Zhang (Kindergarten TA) have girl. She no MRS!"

Me: Well what about Mrs. Gambill (their kindergarten teacher)?  Does she have a baby?

Student 2: No! She no have! So she only MISS no MRS!

Student 5: NOOOO! She marry! She MRS!

Student 6: Yes, She marry! She marry MR. Gambill. ...But they no have baby.

*Everyone turns to me*

Student 6: Why they no have baby Miss McClure?

Me: Well not everyone who is married has babies.

Student 5: My mother she have me! But she MRS!  Only MRS can have babies.  
Thank goodness someone has already put the thought only married people have babies


Student 7: Kari, she say she marry Roy one day and they become marry and they have baby!
Kari and Roy both got little sheepish, grins on their faces and giggled while Kari tried to cover up Student 7's mouth.

Student 4: My mother she have me.  She girl. Only girl have baby. No boy!

Student 5: Yes only girls have baby. NO BOY! They only marry girl! And help make baby.


And that's what happens sometimes in kindergarten music class.

(Rest assured we did get to our song and the lesson I had planned for the day and they had fun and the health education class on babies ended.)



No comments: